Thursday, June 17, 2010

Pitchfork Reviews 6/16/08

Jeremy Jay
A Place Where We Could Go
Airwalker EP

[K; 2008 / K; 2007]

Pitchfork gave them a 7.6 and a 7.5.

This is terrible, and exactly the kind of thing I always don't like. But I might actually love it. Jeremy Jay has a hairbreadth chance to one day uproot the Violent Femmes for the title of "most 8th grade album of all time," at least among the nascent gay kids sect. He appears by all accounts to be serious about somebody being both "beautiful" and a "rebel." Which is a huge bonus for the nascent gay kids sect of 8th graders, because they always think everything is the end of the world, and somebody being both beautiful and a rebel would be a real mindblower. Nobody is beautiful at that age, and junior high kid society mores are as intolerant of rebellion as mores will ever get.

God, this is the most overwrought thing in the world. It's so dramatic and over the top. I do not understand why I love it so much. But I do. It's great. I feel like I'm gonna put this on a mix tape for Nadia Levinson even though I shouldn't waste my time because everybody knows she's in love with Mark Bradley, the asshole who put a tack on my chair. He just thinks he's awesome because he's already 5 foot 9, he's not a good person like I am. Why can't Nadia see it? Oh boo hoo hoo.


Coldplay
Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends

[Capitol; 2008]

Pitchfork gave it a 6.9.

Sure, I'm going to listen to Coldplay and then write down my thoughts.

Nice try, glittertits.


Mogwai
Young Team (2008 edition)

[Chemikal Underground; 2008]


Pitchfork gave it a 9.2.


I never understood why people got into Mogwai, and I was one of the people who got into Mogwai. It's basically grunge-prog. Looking back, I was into a lot of post-rock instrumental music back then, I think because my drug of choice was sleeping. But the Mogwai quiet-LOUD thing would always fuck up my sleep buzz, so I never really liked them. But I had all their albums anyway. I don't know why. I was just an idiot, I guess.


Windsor for the Derby
How We Lost

[Secretly Canadian; 2008]

Pitchfork gave it a 6.7.

What is this, Adopt A Late-90's Instrumental Post-Rock Band With Vague Unrealized Metal Leanings Day?


Monotonix
Body Language

[Drag City; 2008]

Pitchfork gave it a 6.7.

There's a lot to be said for the live-only band. As much as I don't like to leave the house, this is probably like 1,100 times more fun than this. Neither is exactly groundbreaking, but with a live show like this it's like "who cares?" A Monotonix record is like "who cares?" too, but in a bad way.

But so what? These guys at least are doing their best to rock. And they're funny as hell too, if their pube-centric album art is any indication. That puts them ahead of what, 90% of all other bands? God bless these guys, and here's hoping they don't die of inner ear necrosis or whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment